Thursday, August 12, 2004

Stuart Smalley vs. Bill O'Reilly

I think it's hilarious that Bill O'Reilly refers to Al Franken as Stuart Smalley, referring to the character Franken played on Saturday Night Live. O'Reilly does it, of course, because Smalley was neurotic, effeminate, probably gay, and susceptible to bouts of insecurity and anxiety about nearly everything. In other words, he was a man with feelings. O'Reilly, on the other hand, has shown the capacity for one (1) emotion: anger.

Stuart Smalley was self-reflective, analytical, and never stopped trying to improve himself. O'Reilly doesn't have time to examine himself, because he was convinced long ago that he's always right, and anyone who questions him is an enemy.

To me, this connection is obvious. When will O'Reilly stop reminding his listeners that he is the self-righteousness to Smalley's self-reflection, that he is the anger and hate to Smalley's hope and acceptance?

I couldn't think of a better juxtoposition of values myself. I'm glad O'Reilly drew my attention to it, because it could very well be the start of his own descent into obscurity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home