Thursday, November 11, 2004

the outering: Part II

I'm starting to really understand blogging, and its significance. I know I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the blog culture, but somehow I don't think I should worry about that so much.

I used to think that keeping a blog was possibly silly, because what chance does one have of gaining an audience, with all that competition out there?

Then I realized, how stupid that thought is...I wonder if that's a common misconception. Because it really is the wrong way to look at it.

People are more likely to be consumers than producers of content. But every producer is also a consumer. So it is logically impossible for it to be bad for your blog's chances at gaining an audience, the more people are keeping blogs. Wow. That's a powerful thought (for me, anyway). So someone who starts now, really doesn't have any worse chance of gaining an audience than the first few. (Now there is some appeal to saying you've been blogging since before it was cool, but that won't amount to much in a few years, I don't imagine.) The thought that you have to be "mega-famous" to make it as a blogger is just ridiculous in this context.

Blogging enables you to connect with lots of people as easily as one person.

Blogging

The thoughts are coming so fast and furious right now that I can barely keep up with them. What is that all about? I think that an effect of a lot of McLuhan talk is this brainstormy feeling. I just realized so many things that were interesting, I've forgotten most of them. What I enjoy is this: metaphors. Thinking through metaphors. And thinking through metaphors a lot leads to some surprising ideas. Things are revealed through metaphors.

I really need a way to organize my blog better.

I also need to get on with learning about this stuff, information management type stuff. It always surprises me when it is revealed that what I'm interested in is actually related very closely to my job. Since when have I been interested in my job??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home