Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Errol Morris: There Is Such a Thing as Truth

NPR : There Is Such a Thing as Truth

So Errol Morris says that truth exists, does he? And I was completely convinced that it no longer existed, or at least no longer mattered. Am I too cynical?

Is it wrong to think that after 5 years of having Orwellian doublespeak beamed into my head by CNN that it doesn't matter whether or not I remember the sequence of events that led up to war in Iraq? Up isn't down, and dissent isn't treason, and slogans are not reason... but does it matter? Bush says America doesn't torture, okeedokie. Now watch this drive.

A while back I wrote something that I may or may not have posted, about why truth matters. I think I've slipped a bit since then, because after ever arrow of truth that is slung, the behemoth of corporate-Republican nationalism simply bats it away with sneering arrogance that is inexplicably seen as strength by the majority. And I have to believe it is a majority, because otherwise there would be rioting in the streets, right? Well, perhaps exactly what other people believe is another truth that is hidden from view.

Because regardless of what the polls say, and what certain trusted friends say during bull sessions, there is a pervasive chill in the air that doesn't allow most of us to show our true feelings about the state of America and the world at large. We've been divided into tribes, and learned to hide our feathers, on the off chance of offending someone. And after all, our true feelings, or mine at least, are absolutely ugly sometimes. My anger and disgust, while entirely justified, doesn't seem appropriate to share at the water cooler. Or at the dinner table, or right before bed. Or any social occasion, or where children are present.

No, and that's why so many of us tap away at our blogs, sharing our disgust and anger with anyone and no one.

Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home